Open Kitchen Studio Presents...

At the Open Kitchen Studio we explore food, cooking techniques and flavour combinations while having fun and learning something new. I'm happy to share some of those adventures and discoveries with you and hope you enjoy them!!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Carrots Fresh From the Garden

The humble carrot is one of my favourite veggies, so when I was asked by the YK Community Garden Collective to come up with some recipes to highlight the freshness of this years harvest, Dill Glazed Carrots was a natural. This is a simple way to prepare them that brings out their garden fresh flavour. Tamara brought me a selection of Sebastien's finest carrots from the Arctic Farmer garden to play with and here's what I ended up with.




Dill Glazed Carrots

I like to use multi-coloured carrots when I can find them but plain old orange carrots do just as well. I also like to cut them in sticks rather than slices. I just like eating them that way. To peel or not to peel? That’s up to you. I peel large carrots but more often than not, I just remove the ends and scrub them down.

1 lb carrots
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp fresh dill, chopped roughly
Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
  1. Prepare the carrots by peeling or washing them. Cut them in about 2 to 3 inch long pieces. Cut those pieces in halves or quarters the long way, or leave them whole, depending on how thick they are. All the pieces should be about the same size for even cooking.
  2. Place the carrots in a large bottomed pot or pan and add just enough water to cover. Add the sugar and salt and bring them to a simmer. Cook them until they have softened a bit, but are still firm with a bit of a bite.
  3. Remove the carrots from the pot and boil the remaining water until it almost disappears. Remove from the heat and add the maple syrup and butter, swirling it in until it melts, forming a bit of a sauce. Add the carrots and dill, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
  4. Eat them up!

No comments: