Open Kitchen Studio Presents...

At the Open Kitchen Studio we explore food, cooking techniques and flavour combinations while having fun and learning something new. I'm happy to share some of those adventures and discoveries with you and hope you enjoy them!!

Friday, December 31, 2010

Vancouver Chilli


Let the gamers begin!
I know it’s been a while since my last blog but I haven’t been sitting idle. I’ve been working on a few blog ideas, getting ready for the holidays, and preparing for my sons’ departure for Vancouver. I’ve traveled here with them to help set up an apartment they will call home as they attend Vancouver Film School for the next 2 years. We’ve spent the last few days shopping for those bare necessities they would need to get them going, but as you can see in the picture, I think they would have been okay with a TV, their gaming gear and a couple of lawn chairs!

View from Grandville Island
We did stock the fridge though, and I’ve made a pot of chilli and a beef stew that I will portion out and freeze for later use. We shopped Granville Island for some really nice food I can take back to YK, (watch for the Osso Bucco blog coming up later!) and we wandered the neighborhood checking out the shops and restaurants they will be relying on for food. There is a Safeway down the street that should carry everything they need, a whole food store called Capers right next door if they ever feel the need to eat organic or more healthy, (wonderful baked goods, nice coffee, excellent produce) and a 7-11 across the street for all the junk food they will probably eat. I wonder which shop they will use the most? Time will tell I guess.

There are lots of Asian restaurants in the area, a pizza shop and a Greek food place just across the street, and even a Dutch pancake house a few blocks distant. I envy them as they explore the neighborhood and try all the different food options available to them.

But more than that, I hope they put in the effort to cook for themselves, and I don’t mean KD! It’s easy enough to whip up fresh stir fries or pasta dishes especially given the wide variety of food available to them in the neighborhood. Eat healthy you guys! You’ll feel better, think better and probably save money!!

Here’s the chilli recipe that I used. It’s quite simple so any student should be able to make it. I packaged it up in zip lock bags of 1 cup portions which they can take out and reheat later. You can also stretch it out by adding some cooked pasta to it or serving it over plain rice. That would increase the nutritional value as well!! Enjoy school, boys and take the time to eat right!!

Chilli

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lbs ground beef
Chilli prep
1 red pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp ground cumin 
1 28-oz cans diced tomatoes
½ can water (14 oz)
1 5.5 oz tin tomato paste
1 10 oz can red kidney beans

2 tsp salt
  • Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking it up as much as possible.
  • Drain the fat from the meat and put the meat back in the pot.
  • Add the peppers, onions, celery, zucchini and garlic.
  • Sauté until the onions are clear then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans and spices.
  • Add water and simmer until meat is tender, adding water as needed.
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper and a little hot sauce if desired. You may want to add a bit of hot sauce or a fresh chilli pepper to give it a bit more heat.

No comments: