Open Kitchen Studio Presents...

At the Open Kitchen Studio we explore food, cooking techniques and flavour combinations while having fun and learning something new. I'm happy to share some of those adventures and discoveries with you and hope you enjoy them!!

Monday, November 22, 2010

Into Africa



I help out with the Interact Club at school and we’ve been fund raising for a trip to Africa to help some people there. We decided to do an African flavoured dinner as part of our fund raising activities. Our dinner featured a silent auction, an African Legend, read by Rutendo, and a performance by our Djembe Drummers.

For African flavour inspiration I turned to The Soul of a New Cuisine, by Marcus Samuelsson. I love this book because it has great food ideas representing a wide range of dishes from Africa…but that’s another blog, and I’ll get to it some other time. Suffice to say that the book is full of flavour that pops! We had to adjust the recipes a bit to feed our hungry guests but I think we maintained the overall integrity of Chef Marcus’s dishes. Here’s the menu as we presented it:

Spiced Cucumber Salad with Peanuts
Citrus Cabbage Salad
Minted Mango Couscous Salad
Mixed Greens with Tamarind Vinaigrette

Sweet Corn Fufu
Vegetable Tagine with Raisins and Pine Nuts
Braised Peanut Chicken with Coconut Peanut Sauce
Grilled Boerewors Sausage with Roasted Peppers and Onion
Kofta with Okra Tomato Sauce

Avocado Fool with Mango
Peanut Cake with Papaya and Plums
Malva Pudding
Tropical Fruit and Cashew Salad

Though we tried to get as much flavour into the food as possible, I have no idea if we were successful or not. I mean, we’re not from Africa, and we’ve never been there! We go next July! But we received good reviews on the food so I guess we’ll have to wait until July to find out if we produced food that was anywhere close to what people eat in Africa. In the meantime, I think I’ll continue to experiment with African flavours, so if you know of any other books that focus on African cuisine, please let me know and I’ll give them a try.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you and some of your students going on a Mission Trip to Africa?

... in the mix said...

Yup!Three weeks in South Africa! Can't wait!